Water Damage - What to do!

So, the toilet got the better of you? Here are some techniques for the 'first responder' in you for general water damage troubleshooting and recovery.

In any situation involving the submersion or splashing of an electronic device in any liquid, the first step is to disconnect any power source as soon as this is safely possible. Not so easy in most modern devices, but do what you can to switch it off as quickly as possible.

Photo by IceArnaudov/iStock / Getty Images

 

  1. Pay attention to your personal safety first! Use caution when disconnecting any device from household current or any other source. If you are standing in water or your clothes are wet please remove yourself from any potential shock hazard before even thinking about retrieving a submerged or soaked electronic device.
     
  2. If the electronic device is still submerged and is connected to an external power source, find a safe way to disconnect it. If possible find a circuit breaker or switch for that source of power. Use caution if you choose to remove a plug or power adapter from an outlet that has not been switched off.
     
  3. Retrieving a submerged or soaked electronic device that contains a battery presents its own dangers. A shorted battery may be a fire and/or chemical hazard. If you see or feel any heat, smoke, steam, bubbling, bulging, or melting avoid handling the electronic device.
     
  4. If the device is still on, turn it off.
     
  5. Rotate and shake the device to try to let any fluid drain out.
     
  6. If possible, remove the battery.
     
  7. If possible, disassemble the device to allow any remaining liquid to drain and to begin cleaning the internal components. This is particularly important with acidic liquids such as fruit juice or alkaline liquids such as laundry water. (Source)

If this doesn't help, get in touch - we do liquid damage assessment and repairs for as little as £25, depending on the device!